Mom's Story
At around 9pm on Tuesday I noticed sharp pains in m abdomen. I couldn't identify individual contractions so I wasn't sure what was happening. At about 10:30 the pains became more rhythmic and I started noticing a pattern. I started timing them and they were about 3 minutes apart. Spencer was in bed trying to sleep and I'm not sure he believed me. I asked him to time the contractions. He laid in bed with a pillow over his face while holding the stopwatch. I thing he was secretly hoping it wasn't happening now because he was tired from starting his new job. Eventually he succumbed to the reality that I was really in labor. We called grandma Lingafelter over to the house. She arrived right at midnight and we headed straight to Wesley hospital.
The doctor checked me and determined I was, in fact, in labor. The labor progressed quickly. Spencer was a big help. We were much better prepared this time since we had so much practice with Isaac. Spencer talked me through my contraction,s and used mint scented lotions to distract me. My doctor, Dr. Kerri Hild, arrived at the hospital. I was surprised to see her because it was so late at night and she was 8 months pregnant. i was sure she would have another doctor on call. Grandma Lingafelter also came to the hospital. Grandma Post met her at our house and took over watching Isaac so grandma Lingafelter could be present during the birth.
Everyone arrived just in time because I had a strong urge to push. The doctor checked and I was 10cm dilated. I started pushing. I only pushed through two contractions and Colin was born at 3:38 in the morning. Everyone was so happy they had tears in their eyes. Even grandma. He was perfect. He weighed 6 pounds 10 ounces and was 19 inches long. I held Colin for at least half an hour before anyone else touched him. We tried nursing, but we weren't very successful. It took another 24 hours for us to get the nursing bit down. I was so tired, but I couldn't sleep. I just wanted to look at Colin all night. I didn't get to sleep until 1pm the next day. Spencer was exhausted and fell asleep on the couch in the room before the nurses had even left. What an amazing day. I kept thinking about all the people who are waiting to meet and love on Colin. Especially his big brother Isaac who is waiting at home unaware that his baby brother will soon be coming home.
No comments:
Post a Comment