At approximately 6:15 in the morning I felt like my water may have broken, but didn't believe it at first. I went back to bed for another hour or so before realizing this was the REAL thing. Spencer was still in bed when I said, "Sweety, I think it's time to go to the hospital." Spencer jumped out of bed and started getting the car ready. I was so nervous that I had a difficult time getting ready. Luckily Spencer was there to help me.
I had two strong contractions in the car on the way to Via Christi hospital. My contractions sped up to two minutes apart once we arrived at the hospital at approximately 8am. They were so close together I had a hard time getting my hospital gown on. The nurses asked me many questions, but I had trouble answering them because I was in so much pain. Spencer answered many of the questions for me. Spencer heald my hand and brought me water. He was the best partner I could have asked for.
Grandmas Post and Lingafelter arrived at the hospital shortly after we did. Grandpa Post and Lingafelter came about an hour later.
At about 10:30am the resident doctor came to check on me. He said he would check on me every hour until it was time to push. I explained that I felt a lot of pressure and believed I was ready to start pushing NOW. He checked and sure enough I was 10cm dilated. He contacted my doctor (Dr. Karen Strecker) who started on her way to the hospital. She still had not arrived by 11am so I went ahead and began pushing with the help of the resident doctor. I pushed for about 20 minutes and made good progress. In fact, we progressed so fast that I had to stop pushing so they could place an oxygen mask on me because the baby's oxygen and heart rate were beginning to decrease. We rested for about 15 minutes and Dr. Strecker finally arrived.
Spencer stood right by my side the whole time and gave me words of encouragement as I started pushing again. He wore an orange t-shirt with the word "COACH" written across the front. I made this shirt for him espescially for this day. I began pushing again now that my doctor had arrived and the baby's heart rate and oxygen levels had increased.
At 12:11pm Isaac was born (7 pounds 8.8. ounces, 18.25 inches long). Dr. Strecker checked him over to make sure everything looked good and quickly placed him in my arms. I could not see him right away because I had tears in my eyes from crying. He was incredible. For nine months Spencer and I asked each other what we thought this moment would be like. We could not have imagined anything more perfect. Spencer was so patient. He stayed back and allowed me time to hold Isaac for as long as I needed, but I knew he wanted to hold him so badly. I passed Isaac to Spencer and was overwhelmed with emotion as I looked at the two most handsome men in the world.
After some time the nurse came and took Isaac to give him his first bath. All of the grandparents came into the room once he was clean. They all took turns holding him. They stayed for another 30 minutes and left so that Spencer and I could be alone with Isaac. A nurse moved us from the labor and delivery room to a mother/baby suite where we remained for the rest of the hospital stay.
How are you gonna go and make me cry in the middle of the afternoon! Kris and I LOVE you both so much! Also, we now feel better to know that we will have your advice in the future! What an amazing time this is in your lives!
ReplyDelete